Friday, 23 September 2016
Thank you to everyone who told us what they were reading over the summer holidays. We've had postcards from Grenada to Devon and Croatia to The Maldives and lots of excellent book recommendations! Mr Contreras-Ramis read the most books - 13 novels in English and more in Spanish! All the students who sent us a postcard have been awarded achievement points and received prizes.
Come and have a look at our display, which is on the noticeboard outside the Discovery Library. Remember, we are a reading school, so feel free to ask you teachers what they are reading.
Tuesday, 20 September 2016
The six books on this year's short list are:
- The Sellout by Paul Beatty (US)
- Hot Milk by Deborah Levy (UK)
- His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet (UK)
- Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh (US)
- All That Man Is by David Szalay (Canada/UK)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thein (Canada) a (US)
The winner of the year's Man Booker Prize will be announced on Tuesday, 25th October.
Previous Man Booker Prize winners are available to borrow from the War Memorial Library.
Friday, 16 September 2016
- Sarah Crossan, winner of the Carnegie Medal, a moving novel about conjoined twins.
- by Nicky Singer, illustrated by Chris Riddell
- by Jenny Valentine, nominated for the Carnegie Medal
- by Patrick Ness, nominated for the Carnegie Medal
Tuesday, 13 September 2016
Friday, 9 September 2016
We hope you had a great summer - we have received some postcards telling us what you were reading and look forward to displaying these.
Look out for our library competitions, including our weekly Word of the Week competition, with loads of great prizes to be won. We have changing book displays and displays of new books to encourage reading for pleasure. We are happy to consider buying any books that we do not currently have – just ask! There are suggestion boxes too for any comments or suggestions you may have.